Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Poser 12 Internet Access

Retrowave opened this issue on Dec 23, 2019 ยท 268 posts

Penguinisto posted Mon, 23 December 2019 at 12:43 PM

randym77 posted at 10:33AM Mon, 23 December 2019 - #4374201

I've noticed I'm getting a lot of notifications (until I turned them off). And they've also talked about being able to browse Rosity and buy stuff from within Poser. So I suspect an active Internet connection is a big part of their future plans for Poser.

Sorta... DAZ used to do something similar, but not for licensing - just as a means of buying stuff from the store through the app. But then, two radically different income models, so that's about as close as they can get for comparison.

Personally, I've decided to wait for 12 and see what comes of it. Even tough I'm not longer on rural Sat. Internet myself (this means I'm no longer metered, yay!), the idea of anything phoning home w/o my explicit permission, for any reason, is bunk (you should see what I had to do to the registry and the home DNS service to keep Windows from doing it... and as soon as Apple removes head from anus and puts a decent GeForce card in their laptops again...?) I also refuse to rent my software (Adobe can go eat a...)

But in all seriousness (though I was dead serious before anyway), no, software should just do what its told after I pay for it without sending potential BI/marketing data to the maker... In this day and age, if a software provider is so worried about piracy that they have to take such steps, then they're in the wrong business, or they need to submit their shiz through a curated App Store -like environment so that everyone knows what's up and can make their purchasing decisions accordingly.