Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Poser 12 Internet Access

Retrowave opened this issue on Dec 23, 2019 ยท 268 posts

Dale B posted Tue, 24 December 2019 at 12:24 PM

Penguinisto posted at 12:21PM Tue, 24 December 2019 - #4374204

Retrowave posted at 10:26AM Mon, 23 December 2019 - #4374195

It's just a sim that you stick in your smartphone, just like any other sim. The difference is that it turns your smartphone into a mobile broadband Wi-Fi router, so you just connect your computer to your phone (wirelessly), instead of connecting it to a modem or router.

Works exactly the same, easy as that!

Might not even need that much work...

I recently upgraded my smartphone this year to a Moto z4, and it came with Hotspot all enabled and ready to go on the phone, w/o issue. It came in handy at the in-laws' house, where they only have a metered Sat. Internet connection... I still had 3g-level connectivity, so I turned on the hotspot so my wife could go online. You might not need a special SIM to do this (I don't).... just check your phone - it might already be there if you have something fairly new (Mine runs Android 9, but I bet 8, 7, and even 6 could do it as well.) Also be sure your phone is unlocked (I buy my phones outright unlocked straight off of Amazon - screw the carrier subsidy jails.)

Note that you're still subject to whatever broadband limits your carrier provides, but it works pretty well for what it does (most times (4G level connectivity) it works just as well as my home rural DSL line does.)

I still use a Samsung S4, and it has the wireless hotspot app on it. Only thing you need to be wary of is your data plan and roaming charges. Depending on which options you choose, you can rack up a lot of $$$ on your bill due to roaming if you are out of your area. I've had laptop and Tab A online simultaneously, and the phone handled it well. Battery drains much faster, so having an external battery is a must for any significant length of time operating.