Forum: Poser Technical

Subject: changing joint order and adjusting joint zones

cal401 opened this issue on Oct 20, 2001 ยท 12 posts

cal401 posted Sat, 20 October 2001 at 3:09 PM

Thanks for the link! I think that has me pointed in the right direction. I am working with a figure on a racing-style bicycle with "ram's-horn" handle bars. When I tried to move the figure's hands to the curved part of the handlebar, I discovered that they CANNOT be moved into that position with the default joint order. The joints go into a "gimble lock", where both twist and bend are doing the same thing; bend no longer functions to move the elbow away from the body. To demonstrate the problem, take the default P4 nude male or female (I haven't check the other figures, but they probably behave the same way) and set the shoulder front-back dial to 90. This will make the arm extend directly out in front (sort of a Roman-salute pose). Now try to lower the arm directly to the side, keeping it parallel to the body's median plane; it can't be done, it can only be rotated along its long axis and rotated back to the Poser neutral position. Bend should move the arm at right angles to front-back, but it does not. No matter how you get into the "Roman-salute" pose, front-back is the only dial that will move you out of it, and you are restricted to one plane of motion; needless to say, real people don't have this limitation. (Frankly, I'm surprised that people haven't noticed this before.) Changing the joint order to YXZ fixes the "gimble lock" problems, but messes up the joint parameters, causing part of the upper arm to be left behind when the arm moves. As I begin to dig into this, the main problem seems to be that the joints now have the wrong attributes associated with them. Front-back now has the twist attribute associated with it, which is probably why the deformation is messed up; any idea how to re-map that? Thanks for your help! Cal