Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Quick Step-By-Step for Genesis 3 in Poser 11

philebus opened this issue on Jan 31, 2020 ยท 19 posts

philebus posted Thu, 06 February 2020 at 1:18 AM

EnglishBob posted at 6:39AM Thu, 06 February 2020 - #4379234

Thanks from me also! I'd previously tried to get Genesis 3 into Poser using two different methods, without success - this time it worked! Actually, a large part of the problem might have been that I wasn't expecting Genesis 3 to have expression dials only in the body, so I may have had a working figure before now without being aware of it. That part of your tutorial - minor as it may have been - has made all the difference, if so.

If I may add a couple of additional points:

Now I just need to get materials sorted out. I assume there's no easy path to doing that? I've got a simple diffuse map attached to the first material in the list in all my transferred items, but everything else is empty. (Correction - the G3F figure itself has transparency maps applied to EyeMoisture and EyeLashes, but no diffuse maps.)

Hi,

Sadly, there's not much we can do about the materials. For most things, I do make PCFs from any 3Delight material settings a product might be supplied with (don't bother with IRay settings, virtually nothing carries over to Poser) - this provides a starting point. It is worth noting that Studio does not include displacement or normal maps when generating PCFs (DAZ has never liked to support these features in Poser), so do check a product's texture folder to see if any are there.

For the Genesis figure itself, I started with one of the Base Characters and built a very simple material which I saved out as an mt6 and then applied to each of the other characters which have their own UVs, simply swapping out the different maps before saving them again.

For clothing, you might want to have a look through your library of Poser products for material settings of different fabrics, saving screen shots as a quick reference - it saves a bit of trial and error. Because I don't render for realism but with a view to creating faux paintings, I'm afraid my crude settings wouldn't be of much use to others, or I would share them in free stuff (still, if I do get around to improving the settings I'm using at the moment, then I'll probably try to do that).

With regards to clothing - I mentioned that I use the Fit Control product, so my process is this...

1. In Studio, load a Genesis 3 base and then load a complete outfit.
  2. Select the Genesis figure from the scene tab and then run Fit Control to transfer these morphs to all the clothing items. I then select the individual clothing items in the scene tab, right-click and unparent them.
  3. Next I convert the rigging on each item to TriAx.
  4. Save out each item as a Scene Sub-Set to the same temp folder I used in converting the figures (you'll need to uncheck the other times from the list on each save).
  5. Select the clothing items in the scene and delete them.
  6. You can now move on to the next set of clothing with Genesis still in the scene.
  7. Once you've worked through all the clothing items, go to the temp file and create PCFs for them as you did for the Genesis 3 figures.
  8. In Poser, load items (Genesis figure or clothing) on their own and with no other figures in the scene, build the material and then save back to the Poser folder.

Do make sure you create PCFs for any foot poses as well and in Poser apply them to the figure before loading the footwear.

I don't want to sound like a shill but I've found the Fit Control products for all three Generations (I've yet to work with Genesis 8) to be a worthwhile investment as it doesn't just provide morphs to avoid shrink-wrapping but also some extra options for fitting I can use before breaking out the morph brush.