Forum: Poser 11 / Poser Pro 11 OFFICIAL Technical

Subject: Help Destroyed needed files

Volcilord opened this issue on Feb 20, 2020 ยท 16 posts

hornet3d posted Thu, 20 February 2020 at 9:09 PM

Glad it worked out and you did not lose anything but it might be a good time think about your backup routine. Like Boni I keep all the downloaded files on an external drive but I tend to be a very cautious person so I also keep a back up of all of my runtimes both locally on an external drive and also in the cloud. That means if the a drive fails I can just point Poser to the backup drive (or more likely a clone of the backup drive) and I am back in business. If that fails I can reinstall my content from the back up of my downloads. If that fails I have to go hunting for all my content at the different marketplaces, assuming they still exist, then redownload and reinstall all of the downloads.

I can give some pretty strong guarantees on the last option, first it is going to take a very long time and second, you will not recover all of your previous content.

In case I am coming on a little strong on this I need to explain that I worked in a computer repair shop for many years and data loss is a daily occurance. I have seen the grief and headache caused when treasure photos or college projects and the like are lost forever. This trends make data backup a soap box topic for me, my aim is not to criticise or annoy anyone, I am just trying to protect data and impress how important it is before anyone loses it.

I use Poser 13 on Windows 11 - For Scene set up I use a Geekcom A5 -  Ryzen 9 5900HX, with 64 gig ram and 3 TB  storage, mini PC with final rendering done on normal sized desktop using an AMD Ryzen Threadipper 1950X CPU, Corsair Hydro H100i CPU cooler, 3XS EVGA GTX 1080i SC with 11g Ram, 4 X 16gig Corsair DDR4 Ram and a Corsair RM 100 PSU .   The desktop is in a remote location with rendering done via Queue Manager which gives me a clearer desktop and quieter computer room.