Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Thread limits of Poser, Windows

seachnasaigh opened this issue on Feb 15, 2020 ยท 17 posts

seachnasaigh posted Mon, 24 February 2020 at 7:02 PM

AmethystPendant posted at 6:45PM Mon, 24 February 2020 - #4381646

ISTR that the 32 thread limit has been there for several versions, the dev that put it in probably thought it was impossible to get that high and was having a laugh

Yeah, I figured so, and indeed at the time it was a wildly generous number. But, as time passed, this concept of parallel processing has really blossomed and now is already upon us. The current top Threadripper is 64 cores with 128 threads; the top Epyc (server/workstation counterpart of the Threadripper) matches the 64 core / 128 thread count, and also offers parallel CPU capability (i.e., you can run two Epyc processors on a single motherboard) to total 256 render threads.

I figured the 32 thread limit was probably arbitrary, and so I reckoned increasing is likely it to be an attainable goal. The upgrade would need to take into consideration Windows' 64-thread limit per process, thus the idea of launching up to four FFRender64 processes (of 64 threads each) if needed.

ISTR there is a similar arbitrary limit of 256 remotes for Queue Manager; I don't see that being problematic unless someone invents a really inexpensive slave render box which might tempt folks to buy in quantity.

I would also exhort RPublishing to retain Win7 capability for the next couple of Poser versions, because I sense that Win7 is going to be like WinXP in that -rightly or wrongly- many consider Win10 to be a downgrade (more intrusive, less flexible). I probably won't change my existing machines to Win10. But any new assembly (Threadripper or dual Epyc CPU pack, newer GPUs) will need Win10 to make use of all of the features of contemporary equipment.

Poser 12, in feet.  

OSes:  Win7Prox64, Win7Ultx64

Silo Pro 2.5.6 64bit, Vue Infinite 2014.7, Genetica 4.0 Studio, UV Mapper Pro, UV Layout Pro, PhotoImpact X3, GIF Animator 5