Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Interactive Superfly?

Retrowave opened this issue on Mar 05, 2020 ยท 25 posts

Retrowave posted Thu, 05 March 2020 at 11:00 AM

Just to be clear, when I say comics, I'm not talking about toon style renders or anything like that, I'm just talking about the general look a non-PBR renderer gives using its standard shading models etc. PBR renderers are geared towards photorealism, and aren't as good as non-PBR renderers at allowing you to stray from that. PBR renders look impressive in a photoreal sense, but that is not always wanted, especially in art, and to me PBR renders don't look as artistic as standard renders.

The same is true of iClone and the movies that come out of it lately. I totally love iClone, and Reallusion are certainly showing the competition how it's done. But for all its advancements, the movies coming out of it lately are not a patch on the stuff that used to, and I think that's a direct effect of PBR, cause suddenly, the creators of the movies appear to be sooooooooo bothered about realism that they appear to be forgetting what iClone movie making is all about, that being camera technique, lighting, and telling a good story. There was a time I used to actively keep up on everything that came out of it, but since the realism fetish kicked in, the movie making has gone downhill to the point I only bother to check for movies maybe once a month, as opposed to pretty much daily which is what I used to do.

Ironic thing is, when iClone was DX9, I was always quite vocal about iClone being behind the times in the render department. I kinda regret that now, although to be fair I did have a point since reflections were pretty much a no go back then! Just feels like everything has gone from one extreme to the other, and that's not good IMHO.