Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Quickie Survey: What's Your Goto Figure in Poser?

EClark1894 opened this issue on Mar 09, 2020 ยท 125 posts

hornet3d posted Sun, 15 March 2020 at 11:20 AM

ockham posted at 4:08PM Sun, 15 March 2020 - #4383620

It sounds like the vendors and customers are working together pretty well to maintain stability.

Silicon Valley is locked into the Github Syndrome, requiring revisions of everything every millisecond. That's good for monopoly vendors who can force everyone else to move along, but it's not good for people who want to GET WORK DONE with the product.

Work doesn't have to be paid work; it can be unpaid artistic work. Anyone who is trying to do real work NEEDS a stable set of tools and supplies. If you follow Github you're spending ALL your time on revising your workflow and reorganizing your runtimes and adapting to the new products. You're spending NO time on actual work.

If, like me, you have a heroine or other major character in a story moving to a new figure is not a simple task as you have to go back and redo the renders to make the character have some consistency throughout the story. To undertake such a task there needs to be significant gains from making such a change to make the investment in time worthwhile. I have only done a major character change once and that was from V4WM to Dawn SE and it was a lot of work. I did not do the change with the launch of Dawn because my character was set up to be more mature than the average Poser doll and there were no such textures around for Dawn and the morphs were limited. It was only when Dawn SE was launched that both the textures and the morph situation had improved enough for me to make the jump. As I do not do nudes the better bending was not the main gain for me it was the improvement and ease with which more realistic expressions could be created that was the big gain for me.

I think the other point is that it takes quite a while to understand a figure well enough to get the best out of the figure, another reason why I understand why so many have stuck with V4. It must be really hard to gain that level of understanding if you are jumping ship each time a new figures is created.

I use Poser 13 on Windows 11 - For Scene set up I use a Geekcom A5 -  Ryzen 9 5900HX, with 64 gig ram and 3 TB  storage, mini PC with final rendering done on normal sized desktop using an AMD Ryzen Threadipper 1950X CPU, Corsair Hydro H100i CPU cooler, 3XS EVGA GTX 1080i SC with 11g Ram, 4 X 16gig Corsair DDR4 Ram and a Corsair RM 100 PSU .   The desktop is in a remote location with rendering done via Queue Manager which gives me a clearer desktop and quieter computer room.