Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Quickie Survey: What's Your Goto Figure in Poser?

EClark1894 opened this issue on Mar 09, 2020 ยท 125 posts

hornet3d posted Mon, 16 March 2020 at 7:34 AM

Letterworks posted at 12:14PM Mon, 16 March 2020 - #4383646

At this point reading this thread it seems any effort i make now or in the future is useless. I don't really think I could ever make a living at this but it would be nice to offset the cost of the software needed, but it seems to me reading this that everyone is settled and happy with the status quo to the point that noting new for Poser is worth the effort involved in it's creation.

Am I true in this belief? would it be better just to let Poser content die out to the point where only approximately 15 year old figures are available to use in 10-15 year old technology? And that everything needed for those old figures and old technology has already been made so any attempt to add to it is useless?

Please let me know if what I am reading this correctly so I can move along now and now waste any more time effort and yes, money on this area of 3D.

My family will thank you

I think the answer to your question depends very much on what it is that you are looking to create. Despite playing with Daz and Poser for over twenty years (the last fifteen or so Poser only) I still spend far more on my hobby each month than a really should. Like many I have masses of content for V4 which was my go to figure for more than have the time I have been playing and now use Dawn. So if you make some new clothes for V4 I am not going to by it but the same is true if you create yet another bikini for Dawn I am not buying that either. Most of my expenditure goes on props these days but I will spend a fair amount of money for the right clothing for Dawn. These is not a great deal of content for Dawn and even less good quality fantasy or sci-fi which is the type of renders I normally generate. I accept that this is a niche market so I will happily spend $30 dollars or more if the clothes are either very special or there is enough options in the outfit to make it a kit bashing resource. Of course that is just me and others will have very different needs but it proves that there is still a market for Poser content but you need to do you research and decide what will sell and at what price. If it is yet another piece of skimp wear then it will have to be low cost because there is plenty of competition no matter which figure is aimed at. Looking at the galleries might give you an idea of what is missing but don't forget the vast majority of Poser users do not upload the renders so galleries are not a massive help.

You don't have to be sensational either, there is plenty of skimp wear for most figures but may have few options for what I would regard as everyday clothes. A lot of the props I buy today are everyday, picture frames, tables, chairs, mirrors and clocks have been some of my recent purchases. I use them to populate a room to make it look a little more realistic but I doubt anyone just rendering pin ups in Poser would bother as all many need is a couple of walls to a room and possible a bed close.

I use Poser 13 on Windows 11 - For Scene set up I use a Geekcom A5 -  Ryzen 9 5900HX, with 64 gig ram and 3 TB  storage, mini PC with final rendering done on normal sized desktop using an AMD Ryzen Threadipper 1950X CPU, Corsair Hydro H100i CPU cooler, 3XS EVGA GTX 1080i SC with 11g Ram, 4 X 16gig Corsair DDR4 Ram and a Corsair RM 100 PSU .   The desktop is in a remote location with rendering done via Queue Manager which gives me a clearer desktop and quieter computer room.