Forum: Community Center

Subject: A suggestion to the vendors

SeanMartin opened this issue on Apr 01, 2020 ยท 10 posts

forester posted Sun, 05 April 2020 at 4:30 PM

Thank you Sean, for the idea. Suggestions are always welcome. But, I am kind of the same mind as PandaB5 and Raindroptheelf. A long time ago, I figured out that my models have to last the purchasers for years, so they ought to be as good as I can possibly make them.

And here is kind of an interesting observation for you - a cautionary tale......

From time-to-time (on a pretty regular basis), I receive requests to convert some of my Vue models to the more generic *.obj or *.fbx file formats. (Typically, so that they can be used in Poser or Daz.) Sometimes, it is easy to do so, and other times, very difficult because maybe the flowers or trees have to modelled from scratch, instead of using Vue's built-in vegetation tools. So, it takes a LOT of time and effort to make those conversions. While in the process of making those conversions, I often ask the requester for more information about their exact needs. Half the time, the requester never follows up with a reply, and they seemingly vanish into thin air. And then, when I do make and publish the conversion (as in the recent "sticks" package one person has been bugging me about for a year - sigh!), the person requesting the conversion never does make the purchase. Typically, some excuse such as "my computer died and now I don't want that product any longer."

In looking at my work over the last eighteen months, fully half the people that requested a conversion to another format never did purchase the converted model set. Fortunately, I have caught on to some of these "ghost requesters" after spending only a week working, and stopped before I spent too much time on some of these. On the other hand, I am quite stupid because one person requested me to first convert my Lakota Tipis, which he never purchased, and then to make "sticks" to his exact specifications - which he also never purchased. And, seemingly never intends to do so. How did I fall for this guy's requests twice?

All I can figure is that most people who see something they want that is in a file format different than what they can use, are basically acting on a whim when they request you to re-make the model into a format they can use.

So, admittedly, I am not a Poser or Daz vendor, but I can't help but be a bit sceptical of the market for converted products. Just based on my experience with making such.