Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Quickie Survey: What's Your Goto Figure in Poser?

EClark1894 opened this issue on Mar 09, 2020 ยท 125 posts

KarinaKiev posted Mon, 04 May 2020 at 2:49 PM

EClark1894 posted at 1:47PM Mon, 04 May 2020 - #4388086

May I ask a follow up? Why are you still using V4/M4? Why not one of the newer models?

Earl, I probably think about this in a too simple way. But:

Then one day a brand new and innovative car is released!! (Let's call it the "Fnord Kartina") It has all the latest technology on board, a completely redesigned undercarriage, a different driver's cabin and a completely redesigned dashboard.

Unfortunately, the switch for the headlights is now on the far left, the gear stick is behind the driver's seat, and in order to look at the speedometer you first have to open the glove box. Also the pedals for gas, brake and clutch have swapped their position. But now you can adjust the brightness of the cabin light with a menu-driven on-board computer, and the doors will open if you operate the trackball in the centre console...

What would you do?

Run after that new junk? Or just stick to what you have, you know, and you master perfectly?

As long as it fits all your needs, and you can happily continue working in your garage to improve your old, reliable car? While the alternative would be:

That's the DAZ hamster wheel, spinning since Genesis was introduced. I don't need that in Poser too!

Question answered? NO!

Because there's more to it!

From time to time, certain people drop by here, boasting about "industry standards" (though the figures they advertise are anything, but certainly NOT an industry standard. But "it sounds soo good"...)

Well, IMO, V4 IS an industry standard (at least for our hobbyist niche).

Show me any other 3D figure with similar longevity, and similar versatility!

Over the last 12 years we've seen a parade of "NEW! INNOVATIVE! GO TO!" figures coming and going... Still V4 prevails. Now I ask you - WHY??

I think I have a guess at why:

Because there is a whole galaxy of textures, morphs, characters, accessories, props, Python scripts, and what more out there which will work with this figure without hour-long tweaking, only to find out that it doesn't work with your new shiny figure at all because gas, brake and clutch have swapped their position and also work differently now.

For all those who just want to set up a nice scene and finish their work with a nice render, all they need is SASHA. let the die-hard-tinkerers continue to play with the new figures. To each it's own!

But for ME (as in "me, myself and I") I won't use neither Pauline, PE, nor LaFemme for (reasons see last posts!) .

MY opinion, so attack me if you disagree, and not the posts I referred to!

K