Forum: Community Center

Subject: Poser as a continuing investment for content creation

Inception8 opened this issue on Mar 02, 2020 · 25 posts

perpetualrevision posted Sat, 20 June 2020 at 11:44 AM

Fauvist posted at 10:15AM Sat, 20 June 2020 - #4392350

Thanks for answering. The questions were not rhetorical. Do the new Poser figures work in DAZ Studio or not? Do DAZ figures work in the new Poser or not? What program do Dawn and Dusk work in?

To add to PandaB5's reply: there are several different versions of Dawn and Dusk. They may all be based on the same mesh, but they have different rigging and other features. There's a version for Poser, which uses Poser's weight-mapping, a version for DAZ, which uses DAZ Studio's weight-mapping, and a version for iClone, which uses whatever rigging works in that app. For all I know there are versions for other apps as well!

With the advent of weight-mapped rigging implemented in different ways by different apps, it's not possible to use the exact same figure (meaning, the same CR2) in multiple applications. So no, you can't use La Femme in DAZ Studio b/c she was rigged for Poser. Likewise, you can't use Genesis 8 in Poser b/c the figure was rigged for DAZ. Same goes for Genesis 3, although there's some kind of workaround/conversion for Poser that I haven't tried. You can use Genesis 1 and 2 in Poser, either via the DSON plugin or by exporting the figure out of DAZ in CR2 format, but it won't work exactly the way it does in DAZ Studio b/c of the different rigging systems. The last figures to be natively compatible across both Poser and DS are the Generation 4 figures (V4, M4, K4), but the weight-mapped versions of those figures work only in Poser.

Maybe this analogy will help: some software comes in versions that run on both Macs and Windows. It's not the exact same piece of software but two versions of it, to accommodate the two different operating systems. Software made only for Macs can't be run on Windows, and running software made only for Windows on a Mac requires a "virtual machine" or other similar interface (and even then, doesn't always work). That's just how it is. That's basically the price of having a free market, where consumer choice drives sales and innovations. If Mac and Windows didn't have each other to compete with, there would be far less innovation on either side! The same is true for Poser and DAZ Studio.

I am aware of the products that convert clothes and hair (which by the way could very well just be built right into the new versions of the software instead of costing hundreds of extra dollars ). Which of the converter products allow you to convert figures made for one program to the other? Which converter allows the Poser figure clothes to fit on the DAZ figures. Nobody needs both DAZ Studio and Poser. If Renderosity is expecting to sell Poser content, it better be usable in DAZ Studio. It’s no secret to anybody that the best Renderosity vendors are now turning up at DAZ selling DAZ Studio content.

Clothing is based on the underlying figure's rigging, so you can't, for example, easily convert clothing for Genesis 8 in DAZ Studio so that it'll work on La Femme in Poser. If I had an outfit for Genesis 8 that I simply must put on La Femme, I'd probably open the outfit's original mesh (along with La Femme's original mesh) in a modeling app, weld it (so that it's no longer broken up into groups), and then adjust the outfit as needed, so that the outfit's body parts cover the figure's body parts in an appropriate way. Then I'd use Poser's Fitting Room to rig the outfit for La Femme, letting it group the mesh automatically.

You ask about clothing converters. Poser ships with Wardrobe Wizard (meaning it's free), and Poser also has an entire "Room" dedicated to giving users the tools to convert clothing from one figure to another: the Fitting Room. The one thing the Fitting Room can't do is convert an outfit that you can't even load into Poser b/c it's DAZ-only. I have no idea how DAZ Studio handles clothing conversions as the only use I have for that software is to export things out of it :-)

Plenty of people have found good reason to use both Poser and DAZ Studio. And plenty of other people have found good reason to use only one but not the other. And that's their choice. Some people also use Carrara, iClone, Blender, Modo, and/or other apps to work with the content available in the marketplace. As PandaB5 pointed out, variety is nice :-)

TOOLS: MacBook Pro; Poser Pro 11; Cheetah3D; Photoshop CC

FIGURES: S-16 (improved V4 by Karina), M4, K4, Mavka, Toons, and Nursoda's people

GOALS: Stylized and non-photorealistic renders in various fantasy styles