Forum: New Poser Users Help

Subject: An Absolute Beginner, Trying To Understand Runtimes

TheBlueSkyRanger opened this issue on Sep 10, 2020 ยท 17 posts

perpetualrevision posted Mon, 14 September 2020 at 4:11 AM

It's always fun to see how other users organize their content, so thanks to ssgbryan for sharing that screenshot!

I just took a screenshot of my runtime in that same "columns" layout b/c it shows the folder hierarchy so clearly, but I don't actually use that layout for everyday viewing. (I prefer having two Finder windows side by side, each in list view and each with additional tabs as needed, with one for my projects in progress and the other for my Libraries folders.)

One thing an experienced user will immediately notice from this view is how many "extra" folders there are in both the Runtime top-level folder and in the Libraries top-level folder. Those are there b/c that's how they were delivered by the folks who offered them for free or for sale, even though those aren't the correct locations for those types of content. In some cases I will move the content to a correct location and then edit all the product's files to point to the new path, but in most cases I just leave the stuff where I find it.

As you can see, all that extra stuff can make it hard to spot the main folders that should be in the Libraries section, so I've used colored folder icons as well as tags to make them easier to spot. (The little colored dots to the right of folder names go with the tags I've assigned them, and I can access all tagged items from a sidebar menu not visible in this screenshot.)

Again, I am in no way suggesting that this is the "right" way to organize a Runtime, just that it's ONE way that might be of interest to others. And, like my user name suggests, my runtime organization remains subject to further revision :-)

MyPoserRuntime-ColumnView.png

TOOLS: MacBook Pro; Poser Pro 11; Cheetah3D; Photoshop CC

FIGURES: S-16 (improved V4 by Karina), M4, K4, Mavka, Toons, and Nursoda's people

GOALS: Stylized and non-photorealistic renders in various fantasy styles