Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Has your Poser stopped working? License issues? Can't start Poser? (Repost)

structure opened this issue on Dec 02, 2019 ยท 35 posts

BabaBozo posted Sat, 19 September 2020 at 7:30 AM

I keep wondering if Rendo understands the threat the "call home" feature represents to their Poser content business. You know, we aren't just renting the software, we're renting the content too. Not sure how much I want to invest in content that could all vanish forever at any moment without warning.

It's one thing if Rendo or some future owner decided to stop developing Poser. Poser in it's current form would still be useful for years to come. It's another thing if Rendo or some future owner decides to bail on Poser altogether, ie. including the license server. Then we'd have nothing.

These seem like reasonable concerns considering the competition Poser faces, and repeated claims on pretty much every forum regarding how "Poser is dead" and so on.

How about this? It should be possible to record the IP being used for each launch of Poser. If a particular license starts launching from many IPs then that license could be killed. If Poser was abandoned and there was no longer a license server, then at that point Poser would effectively be free.

The point here is, there should be no automatic kill switch built in to everyone's copy of Poser. Rendo could still manually kill a license that's been shared, but if Rendo abandons Poser then all the existing installs of Poser would continue to work.

It would be great if staff could comment further on this. Unless I can be assured that my copy of Poser will never die, it's hard to justify the purchase of very much content.