Forum: New Poser Users Help

Subject: An Absolute Beginner, Trying To Understand Runtimes

TheBlueSkyRanger opened this issue on Sep 10, 2020 ยท 17 posts

TheBlueSkyRanger posted Sun, 27 September 2020 at 1:00 PM

ssgbryan posted at 12:56PM Sun, 27 September 2020 - #4399376

Welcome to Poser - it is great to have you join us.

This could be you one day:

Your best bet is to build your own runtimes - I put all of mine in a folder cleverly named !! Additional Runtimes

Inside this folder, I have a separate runtime for each figure I own, as well as environmental groupings (Horror buildings, Modern Environment, Modern homes etc - see image above.

I would probably start with a main content folder, and inside that, have separate folders for what usage rights the contained assets have, and subdivide from there. I cut my teeth in the FOSS community researching licenses, so that is always my first concern when it comes to acquiring content I can use. I even go berserk with fonts, combing over ever last sentence to make sure what I can and can't get away with, and even crosssearching other font sites to make sure what I have isn't someone else repackaging something with a different license he has no right to issue. I once spent $40 on a music library for my cartoons, only to find out his "royalty free music" was actually from Incompetech and, if I used it the way his "license" was saying to, I would be in a lot of trouble (Kevin MacLeod seems like a great guy, but for me, there's no substitute for simply staying out of trouble in the first place).