Forum: Blender

Subject: Third party add-ons, what are you using??

wolf359 opened this issue on Oct 02, 2020 · 26 posts

wolf359 posted Wed, 07 October 2020 at 5:40 AM

RubiconDigital posted at 5:39AM Wed, 07 October 2020 - #4401124

Hard Ops and Boxcutter, TexTools (yes it works with 2.80+), Drop It, Gaffer, Material Utilities. I am really starting to get to grips with Hard Ops and am loving it. It saves an enormous amount of time and has some pretty sophisticated tools. The Step operation is amazing. SilentWinter, Hard Ops does not rely on boolean operations at all. It is probably best described as a tool that packages a whole load of steps into one or two mouse clicks and adds some extra goodies on top. As a small example, in vanilla Blender you need to right click an object, shade smooth, then turn on auto smooth and set the angle accordingly. In Hops, you hit Q, then select the Ssharp operator and it's all done for you. Use Csharp instead and a bevel modifier gets added as well. The time saving is enormous.

Indeed... Also all of the Boolean cutters are kept live for endless adjustments and can then all can be "smart applied" with one click leaving only your edge bevel modifiers live for last mintute adjustments when deciding on what the scale of the final model will be in the context of is intended environment (table top or room sized)

My biggest regret about HOPs/BXCTR is that I did not learn to use it productively, straight away, when I bought it back in June, and continued to model with "vanilla" Blender.☹️

I am already planning to redo some of the assets for my current animation project because I know they will be so much better now that I am implmenting these tools in the workflow.

forerunner core4 RESVD.jpg

My website

YouTube Channel