Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: HiveWire Closing Down

arrow1 opened this issue on Dec 01, 2020 ยท 51 posts

Ken1171_Designs posted Thu, 03 December 2020 at 7:25 PM

@randym77 and @Penguinisto THANK YOU for using my contents and supporting me! :D

What wolf359 said is pretty much true - DAZ has been trying to get into the gaming market for many years now. That's the biggest market in the planet, moving more money every year than many other industries combined. They first incorporated Digimi's decimator and texture atlas plugins way back in DS3, when DS was still quite expensive. They then spent quite some money advertising DS as a way to create game characters on 3DCG magazines. They started a new company called "Morph3D" to use their contents to enter the real-time mobile avatar market, but that has fluked as well. They have partnered with Reallusion to bring DAZ figures into iClone, and sacrificed Genesis 3 and up to become game models, with low poly, simplified topology and simple-bone game engine rigging. They did everything they could, but I don't think the gaming industry will ever take them seriously. At least they tried.

However, when Reallusion released CC3 and the Transformer plugin, all of the sudden that had turn unnecessary for DAZ to turn Genesis into a game model, but it was already too late. Transformer does not use the figure's rigging or geometry, so even DawnSE can be converted into a game model just as well as Genesis 3 and 8, without having to sacrifice TriAx rigging, the figure topology, or geometry poly count. It was unfortunate for DAZ - a case of bad timing.

For the rest of us, I am not a fan of trying to bring Genesis into Poser because we don't get all the features. Genesis is best used in DS. My approach to this was making morphs that try to make Dawn look like the shape I need in Poser, and in most cases, that has worked for me. If more vendors decide to support Dawn 2.0 when she comes out, we might have all the variety we need. Even if they make it for DS only, it's still easy to port those to Poser. And when Rendo makes Poser unimesh-compliant, it will be FINALLY easier to move morphs back and forth between Poser and DS.

My Store at Renderosity

My Store at PoserSoftware

Characters, Body Sculpts, Morph Corrections, Outfits, Python Scripts, Universal Heads, and Videogames!