Forum: The Break Room

Subject: 1960s Console

EClark1894 opened this issue on Dec 13, 2020 ยท 110 posts

SamTherapy posted Wed, 16 December 2020 at 4:46 PM

EClark1894 posted at 4:40PM Wed, 16 December 2020 - #4407667

I figure everybody knows what this is, an stove and oven. Yes, youngsters, before the microwave, even before the toaster oven, there was the full size model. All electric. I didn't remember before I saw this pic. but the oven was Huge. You could literally climb inside if you were stupid and a child. There were four electric burners on the oven. Two large and two small. I don't remember why, I DO remember that I burned myself on one of those burners when I was small. I still have the burn mark on my wrist but I don't remember HOW I burned myself or when.

image.png

Ha! That's nowt! When I were a lad, there were 150 of us in a cardboard box in t' middle o t' road.

But anyway, we moved into a place that still had an old Yorkshire range fitted. They were once the primary cooking appliance, particularly in the north of England, hence their name. Most people took them out - as did my dad - but they're fashionable again.

They were basically an oven and hob system built into and around a coal fireplace. Common in cottages, country houses and working class homes in the 19th and early 20th century. Many survived in poor areas until the 1960s.

Coppula eam se non posit acceptera jocularum.

My Store

My Gallery