Forum: Blender

Subject: Useful Free Conversion Tool

keppel opened this issue on Jan 12, 2021 ยท 7 posts

LuxXeon posted Wed, 13 January 2021 at 1:12 PM

Well, I uploaded one of my own .max files to the site for conversion. I chose the OBJ conversion because I really wanted to see how it would handle that. I had to upload a very small scene file, because they wouldn't accept anything over 50mb. I went with a simple 1 mb file.

The first thing I noticed was that even though I chose the option to convert it to OBJ, it automatically switched to FBX, which makes perfect sense. The .max scene file contains scene information that would be useless to OBJ, but FBX can handle things like cameras and some modifier information.

The conversion process never fully completed though. I let it go on for almost 10 minutes on a 1 mb .max file, but it never finished the conversion and I didn't have time to sit there longer than 10 minutes. In thier list, it does claim to support .max to obj, but like i said, it seems to switch to FBX and then never fully finish the conversion. If anyone out there ever had a successful .max conversion, I'd love to know how that turned out.

My Store
My Free Models
My Video Tutorials
My CG Animations
Instagram: @luxxeon3d
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/luxxeon