Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Opened Poser 10 today... libraries replaced by a flashplayer icon.

johnthepatriot opened this issue on Jan 12, 2021 ยท 119 posts

JoePublic posted Sun, 17 January 2021 at 1:20 PM

I'm in the process of buying a new Laptop to finally try out all that newfangled "realtime GPU render" goodness of Poser 11/12. But as this will be my first Windooze 10 machine, I first installed W10 on an older backup laptop, to see what I'm getting into.

Windooze 10 was slow as molasses on that machine but once I disabled the snakeoil, sorry, "WINDOWS DEFENDER", and threw a lot of "DO NOT SPY ON ME" tweaks on it, it seems, well, bearable.

Anyway, I installed a Poser 12 trial as well as my trusty old PP-2014, as my figure work depends on a ton of sometimes quite esoteric python scripts i collected over the last two decades and which are very likely to be not updated ever.

My PP-2014 install on that machine of course showed the "NO FLASH" error.

I changed the poser.ini file to "make library AIR", but still no library. Then I remembered that the library MUST ALSO be set to "EXTERNAL" in the "Launch Behavior" under "General Preferences".

(See pic)

AIR Library.JPG

As for Poser 9 and 10 "vanilla", I think I remember that those had NO EXTERNAL library, as that was just a "PRO" feature?

So their librarys are FLASH only.

And without FLASH (or AIR), no (native) Poser Library.

So you either:

1. Upgrade to Poser 12 (Which I can't recommend as long as you are dependent on legacy Python scripts for your work)
  2. Buy one of the aftermarket Libraries. (Which have some limitations, though)
  3. Use Windooze Exploder, err, Internet Explorer as a substitute library. (Actually not sure if this works in Poser 9 or 10 "vanilla"?)

Well, you could also migrate to Studio of course. ;-)

Which I'd actually have done years ago, but for my sculpting/rigging work the Morphbrush is essential. And I really, really like the accessibility of the "plain text" Poser files.

Still, between "Let's nuke all your Python scripts", cripple all your old Poser installs and make another woefully inadequate set of meshes our new "Faces of Poser", maybe not Studio, but stuff like Blender (If I figure out rigging in Poser, I think I can figure out rigging in Blender, too, eventually) is looking better and better.

Well, let's see what Poser 12 can do on a nw machine with a few more horses under the hood.

;-)