Forum: Poser 12

Subject: Free version of Poser a benefit to vendors?

davo opened this issue on Apr 21, 2021 ยท 98 posts

EClark1894 posted Sat, 24 April 2021 at 9:09 AM

Azath posted at 8:57AM Sat, 24 April 2021 - #4417557

@ Wolf You having good Points and they are very true, sort of if you have time and motivations with some skills all these of you mentioned Programms are outstanding. but there is the other side, the ones who do not have all this time, not having the Skills and the learning New ones, that is where Poser might be the option to offer a startup into 3D. Starting off with Blender that is a very heavy step for sure :) and most will give up already after the first Launch of Blender. That is where Poser comes in or Daz there a little like a PC Game setting up your Provided Characters " Remember Oblivion " For most it is even not more then just a collection of nice things giving them the Impression of being Creative. Most Poser users do not really want to go deep into the 3D creation universe they just want there Barbies with the clothes that come with them not more. As for the minority would be the ones who provide these addons for the ones who just want to create a little 3D universe. Like a Game just setting up your Characters it is also the main reason why Poser DS survived all these years.

The point is naturally if Bondware continues that way then Poser will just Vanish just like an old Game but Blender Iclone or Metahumans will not really be a replacement for it , these users will then rather buy a PS5 console and build up there little 3D worlds in there. As Majority of Poser users never had in mid to be 3D creators they just want to pass some relaxed moments setting up provided stuff after there hard working Day. Or even for some it might be a kind of social company replacing there lonleyness.

I think Azath here is also misreading the market. Actually, I was a lot like Wolf when i first came to Poser. I wanted to do animation. My biggest regret about Poser was that it never lived up to what it could have been animation-wise. I ended up doing mainly still art and some comics. I know they would never take my advice, but I still say it's foolhardy to chase after users with a carbon copy of a free program, even if you make the program free itself. You improve the program by giving it better features. Poser has good features, but it has a habit of stalling on the development of those features and letting others come from behind and overtake them. The Cloth Room, the Hair Room, Bullet Physics, The Face Room, and even animation. All stalled or basically discontinued, instead of being improved. And to be honest, Poser never was a contender with figures. They always left that up to others, like Zygote, which became DAZ, and overtook them.