Forum: Poser 12

Subject: Free version of Poser a benefit to vendors?

davo opened this issue on Apr 21, 2021 ยท 98 posts

davo posted Sat, 24 April 2021 at 8:21 PM

It was asked what features to cull from the free version of poser, here are some thoughts:

Figure dropdown: Drop the create full body morphs and morphs portion and copy morphs from feature, some of those were cut from poser 11 and only available in poser 11 pro. One reason I upgraded was to take advantage of those features, but not having those features still makes the program functional.

You could also add limitations to render sizes and resolution. Limit the types of light available, limit the free content. Limit the animations to a certain time. Things like that.

One reason I still use poser and will probably forever, even if it's dropped from the market (I still have tons of content to keep me going and I can create my own), is it's toon outline feature. Not the cartoon settings feature, but the toon outline you can have put in post render. I don't like photo-real rendering, I'm more graphic art style, and that toon outline is a godsend. One thing I think Poser should work on is more advanced toon/cell shading/edge lining features that work without having to plug in material nodes. (I'm not a programmer or know how all that stuff works, I just know what I'd love to see happen in poser).

As I mentioned before, this thread, to me, wasn't about software competition or preferences, it's about Poser and how it could help it's vendors and be a resource for people who want to get into 3d rendering on a low budget. To me, a free version would entice people to dabble in it and that would benefit the 3rd party vendors who make things for Poser.