Forum: Poser 12

Subject: Free version of Poser a benefit to vendors?

davo opened this issue on Apr 21, 2021 ยท 98 posts

EClark1894 posted Mon, 26 April 2021 at 1:41 PM

davo posted at 1:31PM Mon, 26 April 2021 - #4417729

As the OP, I wish to apologize for not clarifying my intention for a free version of Poser. My intention was not to have a free software version so that people could become vendors and make money. My intention is that a free version will be a benefit for vendors because it could potentially increase the number of new users to the 3d poser market. My belief is that the reason DS has a much larger market share is because it has a free version of it's software and that is a benefit to their 3rd party vendors. My hope is for that same advantage to become available for poser vendors as well. Again, sorry for the confusion. This all all been some very interesting discussion.

Actually, I agree with your premise to a point. DS is free and a good deal of users moved over for that specific reason. However, for me, at least, DS has always been free. I've never paid a dime for it, even when it was $400 dollars. Thing is, I've never had a use for DS and up until Genesis, it was basically a copy of what Poser could already do. So why wasn't Poser in trouble back then? Answer, it wasn't until DAZ figures stopped working natively in Poser (i.e. Genesis), that Studio had any actual inroads. Even with Genesis, DAZ had to sabotage Poser once again by dropping support for the DSON Importer.