Forum: Vue

Subject: A few problems

Alekssander opened this issue on Oct 25, 2001 ยท 24 posts

MikeJ posted Thu, 25 October 2001 at 3:51 AM

Hey, this looks very good, really! It looks as though your ceiling is reflecting the walls below. What material did you use? In Vue, you do have to get a little excessive sometimes with the lighting, placing point lights and spot lights around the scene to get the lighting effects you need. I often add a dozen or more lights, with most of them having the shadows turned off. When you turn off the shadows for a light it will save render time, and also it looks less realistic, having shadows going every which way, anyway. Maybe try some directional lights too, though you have far less control over a directional light that you do over a point light. The quadratic point and spot lights in Vue 4 have a more realistic falloff zone than the non-quadratic ones do, so experiment with them. There is no way really to "bend" anything in Vue, though by using the primitives with boolean subtractions, and intersections, you can get close. Vue has no real modeling tools, so assembling primitives is really the only way. However, all the boolean operations will add to render time, so if you can get an actual modeling program which can do these things, I'd recommend that way instead. What's parquet? And yes, your mahogany texture looks VERY good, I'd say. You did a great job on this. :)