Forum: Blender

Subject: Creating DAZ Clothing Morphs with Blender (includes hiccups and solutions)

Lobo3433 opened this issue on Jul 12, 2021 ยท 11 posts

wolf359 posted Thu, 15 July 2021 at 1:29 PM

I would love to see one the original Daz to Blender bridge was based on an add-on >that was being sold on Gumroad and the creator either approached Daz or Daz >approached him and bought the rights to it I am sure there has to be a way to >reverse engineer it and port with Poser.

Actually the original Daz to blender plugin was being sold as "Daz G8 to Blender" by a vaguely entertaining person called "Mitchy".

It had some major bugs, did not sell well, and "Mitchy" apparently lost interest and he open sourced the code under the GPL

That is when Daz Co-opted & rebranded it as their product but they do not actually own it either and anyone could theoretically take the code from github and alter & redistribute it, I am given to understand.

This is not a criticism of Daz BTW, in fact I applaud their wise business accumen.

Why spend resources to build a genesis 8 to Blender plugin from scratch when someone else does ninety six percent of the work and tosses it into the GPL freebie bin?

I am curious to see how difficult or easy it would be to do a Blender plugin.

On the matter of a similar bridge to Poser there remains the problem of Bondware not truly having a set of official figures built to an "enforced" uniform standard.

Yes ...I know all about LF/LH but apparently poser now comes with Dawn/Dusk and some older legacy figures as well,(Mikki 2?) to say nothing of the various third party figures still being salvaged by poser users (Bella,Project-E)

All of which are built to whatever exotic standards thier makers chose which is why they can not natively share the same UV/textures or clothing (without yet another third party utility)..hence the lack of broad vendor support.

Not a problem for the poser faithful apparently but a tremendous problem when you start expecting third party "bridge to Blender" plugin makers to pick a "poser" figure when there is no unified Character ecosystem with an easily accessable knowledge base or "SDK" if you like.

With Daz Genesis the choice is easy even for the mutiple genesis generations, that the (Far superior) Diffeomorporhic,Daz to blender Blender plugin supports.

This is because there is a uniform standard structure for G1,2,3,8 enforced by Daz

The same is now true for the Reallusion CC3 avatars.

Even when we "import" a Daz genesis figure into CC3 pipeline that FBX figure is Copied via shape projection,UV/texture map reeassignment onto a blank base CC3 iclone native Avatar

Avatars that all share the same Base mesh and UV's so when "Victor Soupday" decided to create our Blender Auto setup/import plugin, he only had to point the Blender addon to ONE set of resources in our rigidly structured Reallusion core content directories to look for normal maps ,UV's Subsurface scatter, masks even auto lighting the Blender scene with the same Default Studio HDRI's that Character creator 3 uses to light the viewport in CC3 .

Finally there is the inexplicable attitude of the poser forum moderators who seem very afraid to see any other software discussed in the poser forum, even in the context of exporting Poser content to other applications.

There is a person who(it would appear)is trying to resurrect His long dead "Antonia" figure for poser and recently revived a 13 YEAR old ,400 page, thread about her.

Note how as soon as he & I mention the current state of exporting figures to Blender from the other major figure apps ( Daz ,Iclone)a moderator quickly steps in to squash the Discussion.

https://www.renderosity.com/rr/mod/forumpro/?thread_id=2753785&page_number=397

Not very encouraging incentives for any potential developer considering investing time in a poser figure to Blender plugin when communicating with the poser users where they hang out is forbidden.

My website

YouTube Channel