Forum: Poser 12

Subject: Render Dpi vs Pixle?

igohigh opened this issue on Sep 10, 2021 ยท 78 posts

JoEtzold posted Mon, 13 September 2021 at 1:00 PM

Just to clarify this stuff finally by image. I use a picture I made some days ago with Canon 2000 camera with autofocus used. Therefor the green in front is sharp while second left pink flower is a bit unsharp. Every the same ... me and my camera sometimes having different meanings about the exact focus ... so it shall be .... :-)

I have checked with Photoshop DPI is 72, in good old PhotoImpact which I used to size this examples the DPI is 96 and to show the data I used IrfanView (best freeware image viewer !!!) with again 72 DPI. And also the EXIF-data (see below) saved by the camera showing DPI as 72.

t1.jpg

Now Irfans information directly after opening image for view:

t2.jpg

I marked the original pixel size and the DPI and the resulting paper size in cm and also inch.

And now I changed the DPI from 72 to 300. Look for paper size in cm/inch. It changed but no change to pixel size and also no change in the file on disk. Thats the same as in Photoshop changing DPI without resample. If you let Photoshop resample it will hold the paper size and change the pixel size. So this means changing the image as such.

t3.jpg

Now at least the EXIF data from camera stored:

Filename - IMG_0193.JPG Make - Canon Model - Canon EOS 2000D Orientation - Top left XResolution - 72 YResolution - 72 ResolutionUnit - Inch DateTime - 2021:09:07 14:22:21 Copyright - Joachim Etzold ISOSpeedRatings - 200 ShutterSpeedValue - 1/128 seconds ApertureValue - F 6.44 FocalLength - 55 mm ColorSpace - sRGB ExifImageWidth - 2976 ExifImageHeight - 1984 AF Image Width - 2976 AF Image Height - 1984

So in total as long as you define a pixel size in Poser the DPI is of nearly no interest as ChromeStar said. The DPI comes in view if you decide where to output the stuff for optimal scaling. Printer are having better resolution as monitors and all the best resolution can be achieved using foto emulsions like dia films or papers. Than you can set the DPI to size the given pixel dimensions optimal for the used material.

@igohigh : You can use Photoshop to make your correction but first change to 300 DPI without resampling and you should get the desired 11 x 8.5 inch. You can make first a control print with standard paper to save the expensive stuff and if you are satisfied with resolution go for finish.