Forum: Poser 12

Subject: Render Dpi vs Pixle?

igohigh opened this issue on Sep 10, 2021 ยท 78 posts

igohigh posted Mon, 13 September 2021 at 4:19 PM

@JoEtzold ; I am trying to follow you, truly I am, I am reading and re-reading all that you say. However - I too have PhotoImpact and have used it for years. I just fired it up and it too is saying that Poser 12's output render is 72dpi not the set 300dpi I input. So I fail to see how your applications are giving you different Properties for the same image? Perhaps you need to check your preference settings but I am not sure where to tell you to look as I see no setting in PhotoShop, PaintShopPro, Affinity, or PhotoImpact to tell it to 'Change' a file's properties upon opening it. Sorry I have no freeware apps however I used to use GIMP quit heavy years ago. I have worked with Photo Images since the early'ish 1990s when Sharp Electronics Corp sent me to San Fransisco to be trained direct by the makers of the FIERY systems (for color printers). I have had many classes in handling photos for print however this is something I had never ran across; usually the apps output what they are told and when opened in other apps they are what they were saved as.

HOWEVER, despite several of your calculations and oddities in your apps that just don't jive with any of the apps I have sited here (not even you recent PhotoImpact) I am now getting the jest of what you are saying: Uncheck Resample to it will Keep the Pixel Dimension size (which is correct) and change the file's calculated size to the 'Document Print" Size and "Resolution" (dpi) that Poser12 was told to render in the Quality and Clarity should remain the same....correct? ie: I ask Poser to render at 3300x2550 with a document size of 11x8.5 at 300dpi When the output render property is read by the Image Editor as 3300x2550 with a document size of 45.828x35.412 at 72dpi If I change the Document size by UnChecking the "Resample" function then edit either Document size or Resolution then the "Pixel Dimensions" remain the same just the spread of Dots Per Inch (Dpi) is altered, thus bringing me back to the document specifications I had asked Poser to render out.....Okay, I can see that should then in fact keep my resolution.

Still seems buggy to me that cameras and image editors can Save Out an image or photo in the specified "properties" but with P12 you have to correct it's mistake before sending to a printer or you may not like the outcome. I am not in habit of letting a printer "fit to page" when I an concerned about print Quality, same as an editor does not make image changes in a word editor (but perhaps not as extreme)

But I do now see what you are saying, this will work. Just an extra step and quirk I have never had to pay attention to before. For print size changes I usually allow On1 Photo Raw to handle that as the application is very good at it...but I usually crop and edit as close as i can before making such size changes.