Forum: Poser 12

Subject: Poser 12 Renders

TheAnimaGemini opened this issue on Nov 20, 2020 ยท 882 posts

RedPhantom posted Wed, 24 November 2021 at 8:05 AM Site Admin

ChromeStar posted at 11:33 PM Tue, 23 November 2021 - #4430826

>To say microdisplacement doesn't work at all with the superfly engine isn't exactly true. It depends on your root node. It works with the poser root node and the physical surface root node.

Are you sure about that? And it's not just that your spheres have more polys than you think? Because I have used displacement with PhysicalSurface and I needed to raise the subdivision level a ton to get it to work on some props. I would have preferred not to because it cost a lot of render time.

>>An up-close render of the 4th ball shows there is actual displacement going on, but I see no way of controlling the strength.

>Even with a multiplicator or something like that?

Yes, all you have to do is take your displacement source (e.g. an image map) and plug it into a Math node, and then plug that into the Displacement input of the Cycles root node. I generally use Multiply. You can then raise or lower the amount of displacement by multiplying by more or less.

Here's a close-up of one of the spheres I used. I'll let you decide how high poly it is.

I'm not saying the displacement is perfect. It still has a long way to go. I was only trying to say it's not completely missing and you don't always have to subdivide the item to ridiculous degrees to use it. And yes, I'd like to see it work fully too.

Available on Amazon for the Kindle E-Reader Monster of the North and The Shimmering Mage

Today I break my own personal record for the number of days for being alive.
Check out my store here or my free stuff here
I use Poser 13 and win 10