Forum: Poser Python Scripting

Subject: Script that fixes vertex order - testers welcome

odf opened this issue on Dec 06, 2021 ยท 14 posts

odf posted Mon, 13 December 2021 at 6:26 PM

*taps micro* Is this thing on? :smile:

I've found some old conforming clothes and props that have non-manifold parts according to my script, but in the ones I checked so far I haven't been able to find the offending edges easily. Not great for testing if they are so hidden. I've also discovered another problem with clothes, which is that there can be parts with ridiculous numbers of topological symmetries. This can easily happen if one uses deformed tubes, UV spheres or, worst of all, tori for parts of garments. I have to take a closer look to identify the offending parts and see if I can think of any solution. The script still works in those cases, but it takes ages.

Anyway, I also remembered that Apollo's eyes aren't manifolds, which should make them a great test/demo case. They're also, as it turns out, completely asymmetric, which was confusing because at first I thought my script not reporting any symmetries was due to a bug. Anyway, here's a morph for Apollo's left eye done in Blender, again without checking any of the "keep vertex order" boxes. Unmorphed eye at the top, raw Blender export fed into Poser in the middle, fixed at the bottom.

I think I'll probably have to mull over the algorithm a bit more and try to build meshes that break it, because I'm not a hundred percent convinced yet that it can really handle any non-manifold meshes I throw at it. Anyway, the new code is in the "non-manifold" branch of the Github repo if you'd like to give it a whirl.

-- I'm not mad at you, just Westphalian.