Forum: Poser Technical

Subject: The Poser Subdivision Morph Sorcery Project

odf opened this issue on Dec 16, 2021 ยท 223 posts

odf posted Mon, 20 December 2021 at 5:33 PM

Poser, I want you to know that I'm not mad at you, just disappointed. :smile:

Seriously, that was a bit of a shock yesterday, but I think I'm over it. Let's see what we've got so far...

We can make subdivision deltas from a morphed OBJ file (plus the original subdivided OBJ) and stuff them into a PMD file, that Poser can then load as a functional full-body morph target. The proof is in the six pack, here a sloppy Blender sculpt of Antonia at subd level 2:

The limitation is that for the moment, we can only reliably produce deltas that move vertices along their normals (because lateral deltas make the mesh go crunch). That might not be as bad as it sounds if we can bake the lateral movements down into base level deltas. That has the potential of losing a little bit of accuracy and detail, but my feeling is that it will be good enough for a lot of actual morphs. There is the problem that going back between Poser and [insert external program used for morphing] might eventually create artifacts due to the accumulated information loss* as has happened (or possibly is still happening) with GoZ.

At any rate, I will look into baking down the deltas next, which means more experiments with balls and controlled deltas. In the meantime, I'll also look around for alternative ways to get morph data into Poser, e.g. a special parameters that might tell Poser to interpret the deltas differently, or something useful in the Poser Python API (although I do like to work with files and will probably only switch to working inside Poser as a last resort).

Anyway, if we don't see each other before then,

Merry Xmas from Subdivision Santa

* This reminds me of how when I was a wee Uni student, I used to misuse the library Xerox machines to make copies of copies of magazine photos because I was fascinated by how they changed from step to step. Unfortunately in this case I don't think we can expect results that are anywhere near as attractive.

-- I'm not mad at you, just Westphalian.