Forum: Poser Technical

Subject: The Poser Subdivision Morph Sorcery Project

odf opened this issue on Dec 16, 2021 ยท 223 posts

odf posted Sat, 25 December 2021 at 5:38 PM

JoePublic posted at 10:45 AM Sat, 25 December 2021 - #4432407

"Nevertheless, the problem remains that a high SubD value must be set for the entire mesh"

Wouldn't that be awesome if a subdivision area could be controlled by a map or a morph?

I recently tried a very crude "real world" solution to that problem:

I exported a subdivded torso and stitched the unsubdivided arms and head back on to create a "high res / low res hybrid mesh", as most detail "happens" in the torso area anyway. (Ribcage, shoulder blades, spine)

Unfortunately the UV-coordinates got messed up along the seams, so I abandoned the project.

Interesting! I would have guessed that the weight maps would be the hardest part to get to match. Shows how much I know. :grin:

Anyway, a tool for partially subdividing a figure while keeping the UVs matched up properly also sounds like an interesting project. I'm working on some subd code in Python right now. (I've implemented Catmull-Clarke style subd in Java, JavsScript, Elm and Scala so far, so Python was long overdue. :smile:) In principle, it should be easy to adjust the interpolation at the boundary of the torso so that it matches up with the non-subdivided parts. But usually the devil is in the details, so I wouldn't promise anything.

-- I'm not mad at you, just Westphalian.