Forum: Poser Technical

Subject: The Poser Subdivision Morph Sorcery Project

odf opened this issue on Dec 16, 2021 ยท 223 posts

odf posted Thu, 30 December 2021 at 3:33 PM

adp001 posted at 11:23 AM Thu, 30 December 2021 - #4432604

@odf: Can you please describe how to create a hires morph manually with your script?

What happens in case of errors? Are there error codes as return? Does your script know parameters to control anything?

Does your script run under Poser or does a Python interpreter have to be present in the system?

Okay, general disclaimer: I was jumping way ahead with my question about Poser integration. I like to have a general idea where the journey is going, but I'm still doing my steps one at a time. :smile: It's just good to know that in principle the script could be made "fully automatic."

So currently my script does not run under Poser. It's a simple command line script that at the moment takes two OBJ files, one exported from Poser at the desired subdivision level, the other the output of sculpting the mesh in the external software. It also takes the subdivision level and the name of the morph to produce as options. The output are a pz2 and a pmd file.

To be clear, I can load the morph that this script produces into Poser, but it generally has some more or less bad artifacts, so won't likely be usable.

The next step will be to bake down the morph to base level and (for now) restrict the higher subdivision levels to displacement along the normals as we talked about before. In order to do that, instead of the hi-res Poser output I will instead need two full-figure OBJs exported from Poser at subd-0, one welded and one unwelded. Awkward, but I'll deal with fixing awkward (and with Poser integration) once it looks like the script is producing something useful. Same with error handling, thinking about what other parameters could be useful, speed etc.

-- I'm not mad at you, just Westphalian.