Forum: Poser Technical

Subject: The Poser Subdivision Morph Sorcery Project

odf opened this issue on Dec 16, 2021 ยท 223 posts

primorge posted Tue, 18 January 2022 at 1:27 PM

@primorge: You would have to strain the protection of IP quite a bit if you wanted to accuse odf's script of anything.

I was thinking more along the lines of less talented shady characters appropriating his script for personal financial gain... given odf's track record he seems to circumvent this by making everything open source with credit. So... moot.

For me, there's also the fact that I don't use HD morphs in Poser. Where details are required, bump/normal and displacement maps are completely sufficient for me. This is probably also because I need to be able to animate my figures.

I agree. Let me clarify though... from a personal perspective workflow, if I'm going to be doing a final showpiece render I'll often morph and pose the figures as close as possible to my final vision and weld everything into static props. Clothes, hair, figures. I'll then do a higher resolution beauty pass sculpt of those props externally for the final output. I'm good at asymmetrical sculpting from my practice in traditional sculpture in clay.  It's then just a matter of rendering. Sounds like a lot of work I know but it's a method I've gotten used to. Being that I prefer to render with Firefly, because of its flexibility and, yes, habit and ingrained workflow, displacement maps are also very useful. There's no denying that Displacement is also resource economical.

The fact that we now have LOD morphs, which, thanks to ODF, can be created in virtually any sculpting software, can be previewed real time and also mixed in real time via dials to arrive at results that aren't specifically planned (eg. Improv) is just additional flexibility in such a workflow. It's gravy. Besides the mixing and realtime aspects of HD morphs there's also the cool option to release sets of such morphs via pmd INJ pose very easily. I'll be honest I'm not a big fan of Zbrush's GUI (which is ironic considering it's one of the first 3d softwares I started with back in version 2), but really like some of it's plug ins, and much prefer to sculpt in MudBox or Blender because of the more "conventional" interface. Never thought I'd say that about Blender ;)...

Anyway, just wanted to give a glimpse into my perspective on this in light of your comments, for clarification.