Forum: Poser Technical

Subject: The Poser Subdivision Morph Sorcery Project

odf opened this issue on Dec 16, 2021 ยท 223 posts

odf posted Tue, 18 January 2022 at 9:03 PM

Some notes:

- Maybe it's good to be aware that the subD 0 deltas live in the body part actors, whereas all higher level deltas live in the BODY actor. According to some highly unscientific experiments I did, higher level deltas in body parts as well as subD 0 deltas in the BODY seem to be ignored. This makes sense to me since subdivision as such requires a unimesh figure, but who knows if there isn't some secret trick to stuff a, say, subD 1 morph in the head actor.

- As mentioned before, the morph I end up with is an approximation. Experience will have to show how good it is at recovering the original sculpt in practical applications. Then again, normal maps and displacement maps are also just approximations.

- While writing down the steps, I remembered that there is a different, possibly better "baking down" method that I had meant to try, but completely forgot about. I don't want to get into too much detail about it, but the general idea is that one can reverse the subdivision process to produce a lower-res mesh from a higher-res one. I have an old Scala implementation of that which I'd used to "downsample" Antonia morphs, but haven't gotten around to porting it to Python yet.

-- I'm not mad at you, just Westphalian.