Forum: Poser 12

Subject: Poser 12 Python compatibility question

Haruchai opened this issue on Nov 03, 2020 ยท 106 posts

Rhia474 posted Fri, 15 April 2022 at 9:14 AM

Thank you very ,much, sir--I was thinking about typing what you did yesterday but you were a lot more succinct.

As to old scripts: as those are the property of the people who wrote them who in a lot of cases no longer in business/ working with Poser--it is not Rendo's responsibility to upgrade them, however much we'd like to. They are not theirs. Believe me. I got a ton of old scripts that no longer worked after Python 2 came out and then another slew that no longer works after Python 3 was finally implemented in Poser 3. It is what it is, and we can't expect a company to purposefully introduce security vulnerabilities into their program to please a few users (including me). Some very important scripts were updated, like EZSkin and EZDome (third party) and some new ones have been written.

I harp on this every now and then on these forums because yes, old scripts deprecated and it sucks not to be able to use them. But until old scripts are either updated by those who wrote them or they are allowed to be updated by people who know how to (officially, I mean, not homebrew), I can only offer what I already said a few times: use a previous version of Poser for those scripts, then open the scene back into Poser 12 and adjust as necessary.

(Lamenting at least two old scripts that added wounds and scars and dirt IMMENSELY, and I wish someone would write one of those. It should be a basic functionality for non-Matroom verse users, and the *other* software has it. Currently the only way to do it is either go back to 11 with the scene and add it there, or try to use 'layers' in Poser 12 which...is not well documented for this at all and is extremely time consuming and sometimes works and sometimes doesn't).