Forum: Virtual World Dynamics

Subject: VWD may be coming back to life

VirtualWorldDynamics opened this issue on Aug 21, 2022 ยท 98 posts

Mendoman posted Sun, 04 September 2022 at 4:26 AM

Good to hear you're back and getting better. I also would be very interested of new version of VWD. My biggest problem of the current version is that 32-bit architecture, which limits it's use considerably, so I hope you'll make your next version 64-bit. Also 1 collision item limit is annoying, and errors and crashes are quire frequent, so hopefully next version is going to be more stable. Still even with all it's quirks and problems, I think VWD is one of the fastest cloth simulation to date and I still use it frequently. In my opinion it's strongest point is how you can "grab" the cloth and move it almost real time. I've never used Poser so I have no idea how good it is, but Daz Studio dForce magnets and stuff are nowhere near what VWD can do.

I was thinking that maybe for next version you could consider Blender and maybe even Unreal/Unity bridges to grow your audience. There's some cloth addons for Blender, but I still haven't found anything as good as VWD. I know most indie developers are not doing this just for the money, but making some extra surely wouldn't hurt. Also since Daz has made some effort to support bridges for Studio, you probably should contact them to get full support for your program.

I have to admit I'm quite curious what you mean by creating and modifying clothes and hair, but personally I wouldn't put too much effort for that at first. Stable and fast cloth simulation program hopefully is the first priority, and then later on you could add extra modules/addons for secondary tasks like simulating hair or creating/modifying items.

Anyways, good to hear you're back, and I wish you best of luck no matter what path you choose. I sincerely believe you have a great product in your hands that just needs some love to grow big, so hopefully you'll decide to make a new and better version of VWD.