Forum: DAZ|Studio

Subject: Genesis 9: Just Too Funny

RobZhena opened this issue on Sep 21, 2022 ยท 17 posts

Razor42 posted Thu, 22 September 2022 at 1:17 AM

ssgbryan posted at 12:42 AM Thu, 22 September 2022 - #4445003

And as far as the breast size that you seem so concerned with ssgbryan

That was Rob Zhena, not me (we have the same avatar) and I am pretty sure he was being facetious.

My apologies, yeah the avatars threw me I guess.

Did they fix the shoulders? Those have been borked in every single DAZ figure since Vicky 1.

The shoulders haven't been an issue in the Genesis figures for a number of generations now. I would like to see an example of the issue in later generation figures?

8k textures only work in a render if everything is at that level, otherwise uncanny valley, all day, every day, and it looks like hot garbage.  I don't do single image stills, so 8k isn't a plus.  My characters also keep their clothes on, so bending has never been an issue either. 

So you never do closeups or 3/4 shots of your characters? Out of curiosity what size do you render your images? Do you aim for realism or are happy with cartoon looking renders? Wearing clothing is irrelevant to the rigging performance of a base figure.

My issue is that when I have a lot of people in a scene (which is most of them - I do graphic novels); my system (8C\16T, 128Gb, & RTX 3060 12gb) slows to a crawl; 8k texture sets make it worse.  I appreciate you showing me the texture compression tab - I'd look in the documentation, but the documentation is still a complete disaster after all these years.

Depending on what your preview window settings are the texture sets shouldn't greatly effect your scene usage much until render time. Crowded scenes always put pressure on any system, the more detailed and the more crowded the bigger the impact. There are a number ways of dealing with this such as compositing, or using lower res proxy figure or billboards. None of these devalue having a high resolution base character.

PendraiaFaeCreations - ram is cheap now.  The correct amount of memory is the maximum amount of memory.  BTW, how did you handle unisex clothing in G1?  I found it to be a nightmare - most of the clothing was still designed for females (zippers, pockets, buttons on the wrong side, pant length, etc).