Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Is it worth upgrading to Poser 12

weiesnbach opened this issue on Apr 29, 2021 ยท 56 posts

adp001 posted Fri, 30 September 2022 at 1:27 PM

WandW posted at 7:20 AM Fri, 30 September 2022 - #4445554
adp001 posted at 1:43 PM Tue, 27 September 2022 - #4445364

What gets a bit problematic is what DAZ calls "geo-grafting". This is more commonly used in some of the newer DAZ stuff, and should be made possible in Poser somehow as well (but the Poser programmers will have to either implement that directly, or extend the Python interface to allow deeper access to the internals).

And yes, such a converter is 100% legal. Because the converter runs on the user's machine and makes his legally purchased figures compatible to another software (DAZ even advertises that they see converting as a cool feature).

I recall Cage saying geografting was possible in Poser, but I don't recall it it was here or in a now dead forum. It is basically a geometry switch, albeit with a separate figure.  It does work on Genesis 1 and 2 figures brought into Poser via the Late Lamented DSON Importer.

As far as conversion goes, it could be a matter of converting one text file format to another.  I think the trick would be incorporating all of the morphs referred to in the base .duf file...

Geografting is only easy to implement at first glance. But because of the fact that the mesh gets additional vertices (and others may be omitted), the vertex indices do not fit anymore. This has to be corrected in a separate run, so that e.g. morphs, magnets and weightmaps work again.

Not unsolvable with Poser Python, but a few additional methods to Poser internals would simplify the process.

Collecting the morphs from the duf files together is not a difficult task. Everything is plain JSON. And, as I already wrote: In the existing converters all possible problems are already solved. You just have to make it compatible with Poser (instead of Blender). And this is really not rocket science.