Forum: DAZ|Studio

Subject: Tips for Using an External Drive for Daz Content?

IAmNobodySpecial opened this issue on Nov 14, 2022 ยท 10 posts

SofaCitizen posted Wed, 16 November 2022 at 5:11 AM

Just weighing in to say that sharing the Daz content on a shared drive is quite possible. I have DAZ Studio installed on both my Mac and a Windows PC and use a network storage drive for all the assets. Since I am very much a Mac user I tend to purchase and install all my assets via the Mac but obviously the Windows machine is much better at doing the actual Rendering.

This setup works fine - although I am sure it is a bit slower than using native drives. However, as Richard has said installing on one machine obviously does not update the database on the second machine so you will have to do the re-import meta data on the second machine.  Unfortuantely, Daz does not have a way of only displaying the products by date on that window and so I tend to just re-import everything - which for my setup and asset count takes about 10 minutes.  Not tried moving the database to the network drive tho as that would probably lead to corruption in my setup if I am running both machines at the same time.

One thing to watch out for - maybe just limited to my setup with a Mac and windows machine and network drive - is that I have had a few Products with "broken" installs due to certain characters used in the file or path names. Not dug into them to find out if the actual package is wrong or just not compatible with my setup but something to maybe watch out for.