Forum: DAZ|Studio

Subject: Tips for Using an External Drive for Daz Content?

IAmNobodySpecial opened this issue on Nov 14, 2022 ยท 10 posts

IAmNobodySpecial posted Wed, 16 November 2022 at 7:38 PM

Thanks to both of you. Since I'm starting fresh (again) I'm tempted to try moving the database to the shared drive as well, if only as a test before going back to the usual setup. However, I got a great Black Friday deal on a 2TB internal SSD today. So it makes more sense now to just install that as a permanent 2nd drive and put the Daz content (and all my home recording studio content) there, leaving the Daz database where it is. At least I'll have a relatively empty boot drive that way. I guess I'll just have to install new content on each computer separately. That's a little tedious, but it should reduce the likelihood of unpleasant Daz surprises.

SofaCitizen: I have several "broken" installs as well. In fact, my "Lost and Found" is the most populated category in Smart Content - really frustrating. I doubt it is specific to your machine or setup. More likely, either the metadata wasn't set up correctly (or at all) or, as you said, I've seen some files with misspellings or incorrect paths. I installed "Autumn Cottage" a few months ago, and it only crashes Daz Studio - that's ALL it does, nothing else. Only one other content item has ever done that on my system. Yet others who saw my video about that report that Autumn Cottage works just fine for them. It's a mystery.

I don't know why Daz doesn't catch (or simply allows) these problems for stuff sold at the Daz Store. Daz's quality control reminds me of Gibson's - most Gibson guitars are phenomenal out of the box. But sometimes they ship an instrument that is so flawed, mangled and defective, you wonder if everyone involved in building, testing and packaging it was blindfolded and drunk.

But at least Gibson never gave me a guitar as a gift, and then told me I was no longer entitled to it a year later, but was welcome to purchase it from them, like Daz did with all the "free gifts" they gave me when I first signed up with them one year ago. That was truly despicable.

Thanks again for the responses, both of you,

Paul