Forum: Poser Technical

Subject: Am I pushing Poser too far?

Devon opened this issue on Oct 22, 2001 ยท 21 posts

scifiguy posted Sun, 28 October 2001 at 7:07 AM

Attached Link: http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/4/14967.html

"Windows 98SE will only allow you to use 64MB of RAM" Who told you that? While some PC's may be limited by their chipset, all Win9x versions max out at 512K RAM because they choke on thier own design (see linked article and related MSKB at http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q253/9/12.ASP ). Your cool video card is probably hurting you right now based on what those articles say. Truly, Windows doesn't need all that extra memory it sucks up when you have lots of memory--it just takes it because Microstupid didn't design it to go on a diet when there's lots of RAM. I keep mine limited to a more than enough for Windows 64K (1.7GZ PIV 384MB). That leaves the rest available for other programs and I multitask lots of things at one time with no troubles. If you haven't alreadly done it, you should also consider activating the conservative cache feature (don't do this if you have less than 384MB of RAM!). Open the system.ini file in the Windows folder (make a backup first!) and find: [386Enh]. In that section, there should be a line that says: ConservativeSwapfileUsage=0. Change it to ConservativeSwapfileUsage=1 (or add that line if its not there). Save the file and reboot. Now, Windows won't waste as much time messing with the virtual disk cache memory settings that you don't need very often anyway. I for one will wait for XP's inevitable fix it patch (it is a Microsoft product after all) and find out what existing programs it kills before I consider it. MS has admitted that they prevent some dll's from loading, ones they say affect stability but for some reason they don't want to say which ones they are. Uh huh. And which competitors products might those dll's belong to Mr. Gates? Anyway, a very savvy person just told me that he installed it and started getting Code Red and NIMDA attacks over his broadband almost immediately. I want to be sure they didn't make this beastie as much of a security sieve as their server products before I put it on my PC.