Forum: The Break Room

Subject: Honestly, what do YOU think of AI "art"

rokket opened this issue on Feb 06, 2023 ยท 35 posts

IAmNobodySpecial posted Wed, 15 March 2023 at 3:14 AM

What I've seen so far blows. It is dreadful. Yet another self-serving fad being primed by the oblivious who are leading the blind.

30 years ago I started graduate school in Computer Science with an emphasis in Artificial Intelligence. It took around one semester for me to realize that 1) academia is a cult, and a truly sick and twisted one at that, 2) the student loan racketeering industry is committing a crime against humanity, 3) the world-famous professor I had moved 1,000 miles to study under was hiding in a million dollar lab off campus and never even taught classes. (I finally met him for the first time at a Halloween party three years after I left college), and 4) "artificial intelligence" was anything but. It's just a longer, faster computer program that follows instructions, just like any other software.

But if you're trapped in an evolutionary point of view you will never acknowledge that the human spirit exists, let alone that it is impossible to model that spirit. And so, you think you can model the way humans *think*. Never gonna happen.

AI "art" suffers from the same problem. It is not and cannot be inspired. And so it blows. Simply dreadful. Anyone who fears that computers which can't even boot up properly without random errors are going to take over the world, or create meaningful "art", are trapped inside their own Fantasyland. The deranged people who are CREATING the junk AI software are the ones who will take over the world, not the computers or software. (Pssst, wanna know a secret? "The Terminator" was just a movie. It wasn't real. Don't tell anyone.).

AI art is this generation's version of Yoko Ono - people with no talent trying to hijack "art" by claiming that what they are doing is so clever and avant-garde that mere mortals like you and I can't understand or appreciate it. But the truth is, it just sucks.