Forum: Animation

Subject: CGI replaces live actor

benwhe opened this issue on Mar 23, 2023 ยท 13 posts

Warlock279 posted Sun, 26 March 2023 at 6:55 PM

benwhe posted at 10:46 PM Sat, 25 March 2023 - #4459598

For AI: I would like end user to be able to use simple script commands to tell the model what to do. Like go there and pick up that. I remember hearing about such an existing program but it had primitive stick-figure models.

AI step up: I would like end user to be able to give model some traits and goals. Then see how it interacts with enviroment and other models. I remember hearing about such an existing program.

I think you're describing video games. Good news then, there's not really a reason to be using AI to "drive" the model, the end user doesn't need to use anything as cumbersome as a script to make a character walk, we solved that eons ago; arrows keys or buttons on a controller can do that, and another button push to pick up an object. ;)

So like ... the Sims?

You can ignore just about everything I said in previous posts, none of that is relevant anymore, its no longer even a question. You're not getting ANYWHERE near a realistic model/animation that's going to fool anyone. Look at gameplay [not cut-scenes or pre-rendered video, not that that's fooling anyone either, but actual gameplay] footage from something like Horizon: Forbidden West, or CyberPunk 2077, or God of War 5, those are probably about the peak of realism in real-time graphics right now. They look great, for what they are, but they're not fooling anyone. Bear in mind, those were done with very large teams of artists.

Almost all the stuff I talked about above is exclusive to offline render scenarios, relies on dozens and dozens of hours of render time per frame [after hours and hours and hours of physics calculations], then a hefty amount of time compositing multiple renders, lighting passes, subsurface scattering, occlusion, reflections, specular, etc. If you're thinking about real-time graphics, which you are if you want a user to be able to give a command and watch it executed ["now", not two months after they input the command and have completely forgotten what command they even issued] then the bar for "realism" has to drop, like through the floor, through the floor's floor, and into a very VERY deep crater in the basement, in fact, put cinder blocks shoes on your expectations, and drop them in the ocean.

It sounds like what you're really after is a simulation, that has hyper-realistic graphics? You're going to be handicapped in what you can do by modern computing power. The more advanced the AI in your simulation,and the more "actors" in your simulation, the more you'll have to compromise on the graphics. The more complex the environment they're interacting with, the more you'll have to compromise, etc etc. That's likely the reason what you're recalling had stick-figures [well that, and it was probably done by one person/programmer without help of any artists as an experiment where graphics weren't important].

Core i7 950@3.02GHz | 12GB Corsair Dominator Ram@1600mHz | 2GB Geforce GTX 660

Lightwave | Blender | Marmoset | GIMP | Krita