Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Genesis woman

drawn opened this issue on Mar 29, 2023 ยท 22 posts

Hubert.Holin posted Fri, 31 March 2023 at 7:55 PM

Richard60 posted at 7:09 PM Fri, 31 March 2023 - #4460256

The problem of course is the use of Bridges.  If Any other program could use a Genesis figure with ALL the features it has in DS then there would be no need to have a bridge.  Genesis has been brought into Poser in the past and the DSON importer that DAZ made ran a mini-version of studio and translated Genesis to Poser.  It had to because Poser 9/2012 did not have sub-division as part of the Poser Program.  And yet Genesis in Poser 9 could be sub-divided.  If this was done by some magic of an arrangement of numbers inside the Genesis figures object file why did Poser not rearrange the object files for its figures?   A static doll is easy to bring in.  It is being able to do what the DS program does is what the difficultly is.  Since DAZ has not put their programs source code out in the public domain and that is where the magic of Genesis is located then it limits what can be done by other programs.

Yes, a bridge can translate formats, but then you can also duplicate some functionality (*not* the code!) of one software into another, within limits obviously, by various means. This is, as far as I understand, perfectly legal (as for instance Wine does, in a way, for some notorious OS). I still have some Poser-native products whose CR2 invoques scripts, at which point either Poser has an api for what you want, or you can roll your own (which admittedly might be quite a task in some cases). As well, one might also use a third software to perform the translation, provided of course that the source and target formats are publicly documented, and one has the time and inclination to do so; in particular, I remember that a long time ago, someone had built a connection to an external implementation of Python, where available tools might be easier to invoque than with the embedded version which ships with Poser.

(No yet on Poser 13: waiting for the macOS version!)