Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Are you impressed with Poser 13 ?

enigma-man opened this issue on Mar 30, 2023 ยท 132 posts

hornet3d posted Sun, 02 April 2023 at 6:19 AM

ader posted at 4:35 AM Sun, 2 April 2023 - #4460462

So I take it Poser13 doesn't render faster after all, it just has lower quality presets resulting in shorter render times?

If you set pixel samples to 2 it will be even faster lol.

i.e. if the pixel samples, bucket size and adaptive sampling threshold etc. settings are exactly the same the render time difference is what exactly?

I might have to fire up Poser13 in a virtual machine to see for myself. 

My experience is that the preset that come with Poser 13 have the pixel settings much lower that in Poser 12 and the adaptive sampling threshold is also lower.  This give a faster render than Poser 12 but the quality is at least as good if not better.  If I then increase the bucket size the render is even faster and the quality is maintained.

I know there was work done on adaptive sampling because the release notes state that, but I read somewhere that the render engine works differently.  With a multi threaded computer in Poser 12 each thread worked on a separate bucket where as in Poser 13 all the threads work on the same bucket.  I cannot be sure on this as it is something I read but I certainly do not see the multiple blue edged boxes I see in Poser 12. 

What I am sure of is you cannot just use the same render settings in Poser 13 and expect massive changes,  I now render with progressive refinement set and a high bucket count and that seems to be the way to go, for me at least.

I use Poser 13 on Windows 11 - For Scene set up I use a Geekcom A5 -  Ryzen 9 5900HX, with 64 gig ram and 3 TB  storage, mini PC with final rendering done on normal sized desktop using an AMD Ryzen Threadipper 1950X CPU, Corsair Hydro H100i CPU cooler, 3XS EVGA GTX 1080i SC with 11g Ram, 4 X 16gig Corsair DDR4 Ram and a Corsair RM 100 PSU .   The desktop is in a remote location with rendering done via Queue Manager which gives me a clearer desktop and quieter computer room.