Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Are you impressed with Poser 13 ?

enigma-man opened this issue on Mar 30, 2023 ยท 132 posts

Ken1171_Designs posted Wed, 05 April 2023 at 7:57 PM

For those comparing Superfly parameters between P12 and 13, please note that CyclesX is a completely redesigned rendering engine. It is said to be completely rewritten from scratch to free Cycles from the old architecture that imposed hardware and software limitations. This is why the new engine is so much faster than the old Cycles, BUT... the parameters have changed. For those expecting to simply reuse parameter values from P12 to 13, it's not that simple. 

We have new parameters, and the values used before won't work the same in P13. I am still getting used to the engine, getting to know what values work better with it. This is all rather new, and I will need more time to figure things out. I see some people claiming SF is slower in P13, but it might be just because they are simply comparing based on reusing P12 parameter values in P13, which makes no sense considering the parameters and values have changed. We will need to spend more time figuring out what values would be comparable - but frankly, I can already see P13 being so much faster that I just don't care for P12 anymore - I am not going back. 

The Physical Surface PBR root node in P13 has been expanded, presenting a new SSS calculation method that resolves many of the artifacts we previously had in P12 SSS, and it has become the new default setting in P13. This means we can no longer compare SSS rendering between P12 and 13 because we now have a new way to render SSS that P12 doesn't have. I can also confirm that Firefly renders have become faster in P13, and I was surprised because I wasn't expecting it. 

BTW, people have been asking me a lot if my P12 scripts will work in P13, and the answer is yes, they will. The "MAT Edit" general materials editor had to be patched to support the changes on the shader nodes, so the current version is now fully compatible with P13. My other P12 scripts should work fine as they are. ^____^

My Store at Renderosity

My Store at PoserSoftware

Characters, Body Sculpts, Morph Corrections, Outfits, Python Scripts, Universal Heads, and Videogames!