Forum: Poser 13

Subject: Show your Poser 13 renders!

Afrodite-Ohki opened this issue on Mar 31, 2023 ยท 1986 posts

hornet3d posted Mon, 10 April 2023 at 8:39 PM

nerd posted at 2:09 PM Mon, 10 April 2023 - #4461580

@hornet3d The cycles warning about specular is this ...

Cycles want that connected a different way. FireFly doesn't care you can literally plug anything into anything else and it will happily render the impossible. Cycles and based on physical properties of the materials and gets offended when materials aren't based in reality.

Just to clarify a little, let me describe the chain of events.  I am using content I have purchased, a couple of pods from a vender who provides Superfly materials which I use in my first render and all is fine.  I then set up and internal scene turning the pods into a storage dump and to do this I use content from a few different vendors using GO Physical to ensure Superfly is going to use the Physical Surface node.  I attempt a render using the GPU and the scene crashes.  I then try with the CPU and all is fine.

My observations from this.  While I can understand why this has happened it came as a surprise to me because I was not aware of the issue or that the content I had was built in this manner.  I also understand why you have to restart Poser once the CUDA error had occurred ( I love the "Sawing off the branch you're standing on things" as an analogy) although I my case, deleting the content and restarting Poser only gave me another CUDA error.  Now I am not blaming anyone for this, I am not even complaining but this discovery means that any existing content I have may have this issue so that I need to check the materials before I use the content otherwise I will be forever restarting Poser. 

I do have a further issue with using old Poser content in that is can sometimes cause Poser to lock up in the sense that any slight change, such as changing the camera view point, means Poser starts some sort of process for a few minutes and once whatever it is has been completed any slight change has the same result.  In other words the slightest change means a four or five minute wait before Poser can be used again.  I have never had this happen building a scene from scratch on Poser 13 only if a use a scene created in Poser 12.  I need to raise a ticket but no body else has the problem so I need to do more work to decide if it is system related and to ensure I can duplicate at will.

One final point, I have been using Poser for over twenty years purchasing every upgrade, even Game Dev which I now regard as evil, or at least the way it was marketed was.  When I raise a problem like this it is for two reasons, one to see if anyone has an explanation and/or a fix and in the hope it will result in a better Poser at some point.  It has never been a with the intent to damage Poser in any way.  I have nothing for respect for the team now working on Poser development, particularly when my first fear of hearing of the sale of Poser was that it was just to allow it to die quietly.  I loved playing with Poser 12 and was that keen to have Poser 13 I was visiting the marketplace every fifteen minutes or so on the day of launch so I could start playing with it immediately.  I did reach the point some days later where I thought I would not be able to use Poser 13 not because it was broken but because my system did not work well with it.  I am glad I pressed on and I am enjoying using it once more.

I hope that explains why I see this as a possible issue and also my motivation in raising it.

I use Poser 13 on Windows 11 - For Scene set up I use a Geekcom A5 -  Ryzen 9 5900HX, with 64 gig ram and 3 TB  storage, mini PC with final rendering done on normal sized desktop using an AMD Ryzen Threadipper 1950X CPU, Corsair Hydro H100i CPU cooler, 3XS EVGA GTX 1080i SC with 11g Ram, 4 X 16gig Corsair DDR4 Ram and a Corsair RM 100 PSU .   The desktop is in a remote location with rendering done via Queue Manager which gives me a clearer desktop and quieter computer room.