Forum: Poser 13

Subject: My Poser 13 review is online

AcePyx opened this issue on Apr 10, 2023 ยท 140 posts

MazinkaiserDX posted Sat, 15 April 2023 at 4:13 PM

First, I'd like to say I've never used Poser and I've been using Daz for 8 years, and yeah, making "adult" content. I say this so those who think that makes my opinions here moot can just ignore the rest of my somewhat lengthy post.

Basically, I haven't used it but since Bondware got Poser I have been following it. Personally, I'd love for Poser to compete at Daz level, I think that competition would make both programs better and I wouldn't mind also owning Poser if it did. Sadly, it hasn't imho, at least for my needs.

The issue isn't the app itself, Superfly might not look as good as Iray (imho and at the moment; being based on Cycles and seeing what Blender can do, it could get much better in the future) but it still allows to make decent physically based renders while not being limited to using Nvidia cards. The issue is the content. Or lack of it. They claim you get so much content for the price but the truth is much of it is reeeally old stuff that is unusable (at least if you want to make realistic renders with decent quality). You can probably salvage some of it but it's going to take work, and that means time. As they say, time is money, so you could just buy a better one. AcePyx mentions on his video that Daz content is expensive, having to spend around 100$ to get one figure with hair and fully clothed. This isn't true. Same as this site or other sites selling stuff like online courses, you never buy the stuff at the base price. There are always huge sales and things like the Prime Membership or Daz+. Just as a reference, Daz released Julia 9 this week and I was able to get her "gamer bundle" which includes the figure, 2 clothes, 1 hair, make up, props and an environment for something like 15$.

I know some people get annoyed by the unimesh talk but that's just the way it is. I don't know the specifics of what it would break but afaik it's old stuff. I personally think Poser needs to start thinking more on the future than on the old stuff. Sure, Daz has managed to still let people use old content but they don't really support it anymore. If Bondware doesn't have the money to invest in a figure that can actually compete with the Genesis or the CC4 base figure, then I'd honestly just try to make the Genesis figure their main figure too. I doubt Daz would have an issue with it considering how they are making and sponsoring all sorts of ways to send their content to other apps, and I'd hope there isn't anyone still holding on old grudges from both sides. It'd mean Poser would get instantly a ton of more content, Bondware doesn't have to find a way to make artists create stuff for their figure instead of Genesis (which they won't because that's where the money is at) and Daz would just get more people buying their content.

Even Reallusion with their awesome figure and way more expensive apps put a lot of effort on making them usable with all sorts of external content. And that's really it, imho. Poser seems to want to compete keeping itself in a bubble of outdated content while not having the money needed to actually do that. At the very least I really doubt going all in with the L'Femme/L'Homme figures is the way to go.

Anyway, again, this is me hoping for Poser to get better, not trashing it. I sincerely congratulate Bondware on keeping Poser alive and I imagine they have had to make difficult choices and surely will have to make more in the future. I really hope they can get Poser to give Daz its run for their money one way or another so they also get off their asses and make better improvements (I mean, we have been waiting for Daz 5... for quite a while now xD)