Forum: Poser 13

Subject: My Poser 13 review is online

AcePyx opened this issue on Apr 10, 2023 ยท 140 posts

Nevertrumper posted Tue, 18 April 2023 at 7:41 AM

JoePublic posted at 11:43 AM Sat, 15 April 2023 - #4462248

Then there are my weightmapped V3, David, M4 14K and V4 14K.

And pretty much hundreds of other custom sculpts and hybrids I made but have never shown.

So, I think after 23yrs of mostly modifying, improving Poser figures, I can tell a "good" Poser figure from a "bad" one with some authority. ;-)

The point is, I shouldn't have NEEDED to do anything of this.

Sure, back in the Poser 4,5,6 days, we simply didn't have the technology to make a figure bend in a realistic manner. (Allthough I remember early attempts adding JCM's to Posette even back then)

But realistic sculpting, realistic expressions, a nice looking default face and proper mesh topology are not hard to implement into a figure from the get go with a little effort.

Also rigging these days is really not that hard, anymore.

And pretty much ALL of the current native Poser figures are severly lacking in several of these aspects.

And yes, DAZ figures have their shortcomings, too.

Genesis 3/8/9 have wonderful face sculpts and expressions, but the mesh topology is sorely lacking.

I wouldn't touch Genesis 9 with a 10 foot pole. She might be fine to be sculpted into monsters in ZBrush, but for the hobbyist user, V3 or V4 are a way easier to handle option.

So, yes, Genesis 9 is COMPLETELY UNUSEABLE to me, too.

(But I'd kill for a native Poser figure with V9's face sculpt and expressions)  ;-)

There seems to be no way around a proper JCM set and custom expression sets for every character. Although G8 is my preferred figure to work with, the expressions are still horrible. 
I do agree on G9. G9 is a complete fail and a step back. The only advantage is, that since G9 is out, I am saving lots of money, for I don't buy anything anymore.