Forum: Poser 13

Subject: Cycles based SSS skin shader

ghostship2 opened this issue on Apr 04, 2023 ยท 359 posts

Y-Phil posted Mon, 01 May 2023 at 3:57 PM

ChromeStar posted at 1:57 PM Mon, 1 May 2023 - #4463948

Y-Phil posted at 1:27 PM Mon, 24 April 2023 - #4463258

I won't blame your shader Ghostship2 - lol - I would rather blame the user (me): the blonde hair looks better than the dark one.
But I  just found now that the dark one didn't had enough differences, I've used one with more subtilties in it as well as increased the effect of the sheen (slightly brighter)

Sometimes especially on older hair, I find the maps included in Ghostship's hair are too fine. If you replace the maps with something that has more contrast and thicker lines it may work better. Use the rest of the existing node arrangement as Ghostship has it. Just make sure you use a map that does not have highlights baked in.

On newer hair I haven't seen that. It probably has to do with the way the hair is UV mapped. Since the older models typically had lower resolution maps they may doing things differently to make them work.

In fact, in this particular case, it was the black texture that was missing enough differences, but you're right: sometimes thicker is better, it probably depends on the way the hair is designed / created / "don't know the right word - lol"

๐’ซ๐’ฝ๐“Ž๐“

(ใฃโ—”โ—กโ—”)ใฃ

๐Ÿ‘ฟ Win11 on i9-13900K@5GHz, 64GB, RoG Strix B760F Gamng, Asus Tuf Gaming RTX 4070 OC Edition, 1 TB SSD, 6+4+8TB HD
๐Ÿ‘ฟ Mac Mini M2, 16GB, 500GB SSD
๐Ÿ‘ฟ Nas 10TB
๐Ÿ‘ฟ Poser 13 and soon 14 โค๏ธ